- 1. SLS Fall Events
- 2. Video submission are good! Thanks!
WOVENText & Visual Rhetoric
- According to WOVENText (113-18), or your own perception as consumers of media, how do designers produce visual texts that engage audience attention?
- 2. Define/describe five key design concepts: emphasis, organization, contrast, proximity, and alignment
Visual Rhetoric Analysis Groups
Organize yourselves into groups below: Groups 1 & 2 can meet in the front corners, group 3 in the middle, and groups 4 & 5 in the back two corners.
|1. Thiago, Akhil, Hui Min, Dorien, Sanyu, Max||1. Lauren, Omar, Kyle, Grayson, Matthew||1. Anna, Andrew, Yeajin, Yue, Kok|
|2. Enioluwa, Enerelt, Jingtong, Akshay, Firaas||2. Henrik, Summayyah, Rishi, Patrick, John||2. Michael, Jing, Jason, Shakeeb, Andres|
|3. Fei, Esther, Jarod, Mark, Elias||3. Dustin, Melissa, Giancarlo, Mai||3. Andy, Kevin, Manisha, Avni, Brett|
|4. Hannah, Brandon, Hae, Zeyu, Jiale||4. Alvin, Henna, Danny, Margaret||4. Siddarth, Maya, Ravi, Michael, Mitchell|
|5. Danya, Elton, Tejas, Ashley, Jialou||5. Samantha, Shreya, Jeremy, Dov||5. Brandon, Benjamin, Wyatt, Kenny, Kiet|
Visual Rhetoric Analysis
Analyze the image below according to the prompt assigned your group, and be prepared to discuss your response with the class.
What is the purpose of the poster below? Describe 2-3 ways the designer uses organization to achieve his/her purpose.
What is the purpose of the poster below?Describe 2-3 ways the designer uses contrast to achieve his/her purpose.
What is the purpose of the poster below?Describe 2-3 ways the designer uses emphasis to achieve his/her purpose.
What is the purpose of the poster below?Describe 2-3 ways the designer uses alignment to achieve his/her purpose.
What is the purpose of the poster below?Describe 2-3 ways the designer uses proximity to achieve his/her purpose.
Discussion: Jane Bennett, “Powers of the Hoard”
- 1.What are Jane Bennett’s main claims in her chapter, “Powers of the Hoard”? Take 2-3 minutes and find a least one passage from “Powers of the Hoard” you can cite in response.
- 2.Compare Bennett’s central claims to Herring’s? What ideas does each author share?Does Bennett extend/challenge Herring’s claims?
- 3.What two maxims, i.e. rules of conduct, does Bennett provide to help “guide our encounters” hoarders/hoards that is more than simply pathological (244)?
- 4.To what extent are all of “us” hoarders according to Bennett and why? What conditions make pathological overconsumption possible? Why does she classify the Great Pacific Garbage Patch or the Internet as hoards? Do you agree–why/why not?