28 August. Pathalogical Collecting
`Featured Image: Andy Warhol Museum, Time Capsules, Photo by Glindsay56
- 1. Questions or Problems with the First Week Video?
- 2. Please see your Poster Presentation Session times
Final Portfolio: Marah & Artifact Zero
The video below will cover the following topics:
- 1. Navigating to and signing into Mahara, the tool you will use to produce your final Portfolios
- 2. Mahara page layout
- 3. How to embed external media, i.e. video, into a Mahara page
Mahara How To: Sign-In & Building Artifact O Page
Reflection on First Week Video
Take five minutes and respond to the prompts below in a Word or Google Doc. Since you will be required to include reflections in your Final Portfolio, please file this reflection with your other process documents.
- 1. Explain one way your First Week Video met one Course Goal/Concept.
- 2. Given the opportunity to revise, what is one thing you would change in the Video and why?
Herring, “Pathological Collecting”
Either on your own or in groups of 2, let’s respond to the following:
- 1. According to Herring why did the cookie jars in Andy Warhol’s effects cause a “minor object panic” (51) (at Sotheby’s, in the art world, for the general public)?
- 2. What is “normal collecting” according to Herring’s various source material? What is “pathological collecting” or hoarding? How can we tell the difference between the two practices? Who decides?
- 3. Spend a minute looking at Figure 2.1. (54-5): what sorts of objects are foregrounded? What sorts of objects recede into the background? What do you notice about the ways in which the objects in the picture are arranged? What are some points of contrast/compliment? Who’s the audience for this photo: academics, collectors, people who work at that warehouse? Compare Figure 1.1. to Figure 2.2. (59).
- 4. When did garage and yard sales become a fixture of US suburban life? What other changes were going in post WWII US that effected the ways that people thought about what can and should count as collectable?
- 5. What are the Warhol Time Capsules (TC’s)? How do the TC’s “augment the anxieties that attached to Warhol’s effects during Sotheby’s estate sale?
- 6. What does good and bad collectors/collections have to do with the environment?